Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Employee of the Month

Extra Extra......Dan is the best employee at NASA!!!! Read all about it below!!!

Please join me in congratulating DX42/Dan Nelson, the branch June Employee of the Month. Dan is being recognized for his role in the STS-124/1J mission. Dan did a tremendous amount of work training and preparing the 1J crew to perform CBM operations on STS-124. This included the first/only use of the CCS CBM, SRMS installation of a module, and the relocation of the JLP. Dan supported procedure validation activities in the months leading up to the mission. As the1J RAM Training Lead, Dan participated as a member of the OSO 1J Team 4 and worked closely with the OSO team in developing updated CBM procedures during the mission and validating them in the SSTF.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Congrats!!! Looks like someone deserves a special dinner and lots of spoiling!

Anonymous said...

I think we need a decoder ring to go along with that post. Please post it ASAP RSVP ERA MLB.COM

from
DAN (Daniel Adam Nelson) (OCPM.edu)

Cassie said...

Awesome dad! However I agree with Adam, all those acronyms are rough!

Karen Nelson said...

Dad does not know I posted this. Perhaps I should let him know so he can help with clarification.
I also posted a sign on our garage door that says...Employee of the Month Parking Only.
Our neighbor, Karl, gave me the idea because he was planning to do it but Dan drove up just as he did. So, when Dad went to buy Fireworks...I did the posting.
Was pretty fun!!!

Charlissa said...

YAY DAD!!!! Congrats!!! You are soo good!!!!!!

The Bald Eagle said...

Okay, for all you who are not totally emmersed in the daily NASA speak...DX42 is the designation for my department...STS=Shuttle Transport System and the mission that I supported was the 124th planned shuttle mission...1J is the program designation for this space station assembly mission (1st Japanese element...1J...not terribly creative but descriptive)...CCS=Command and Control Software (there's a lot more to really explain for this to be really significant and that would take many pages)...CBM=Common Berthing Mechanism (that's the attachment mechanism I teach about mostly and is what is used to attach other modules to station)...SRMS=Shuttle Remote Manipulator System (the shuttle robotic arm...those NASA weenies have to give everything some exotic, technical name)...JLP=Japanese Logistics Module (Pressurized)...RAM=Repair and Maintenance (a training call sign so people know who they are talking to on communications channels)...OSO=Operations Support Officer (this mission control center designation for the group of controllers I usually teach and which I will now become with the new organization consolidation)...SSTF=Space Station Training Facility (that's the place I hang out for simulation training to put in training malfunctions to test and train flight controllers and astronaut crew members)...Dan=Daniel Alan Nelson (that's me).