Saturday, May 31, 2008

3..2..1..Liftoff of STS-124 headed for the ISS

This is the crew that launched today to the International Space Station (minus the old, bald guy in the middle)

I was on the training team that helped train this crew for their work on the space station installing the Japanese Experiement Module (JEM). I worked mostly with Akihiko Hoshide (the Japanese astronaut on the far left of the picture), but worked with all of them more or less, particularly in the integrated simulations where they all practiced taking the JEM out of the space shuttle with the space station's robotic arm and connecting it to the space station using one of those attachment mechanisms I know quite a bit about. Being a member of the STS-124/1J Training Team I will be monitoring their progress pretty closely for the next two weeks. I guess you can say I'm pumped and excited about this flight and this crew. I'll post some of their mission photos and keep you all posted on progress.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Cool pic dad! I'm glad that you have a job that you really enjoy and can get excited about.

Charlissa said...

That is pretty cool dad!! I can just see you getting all excited about this. I'm excited for you too! Oh and my room mates think you are so cool, because you know the astronauts and what not.

beckee said...

That is awesome! Looking forward to mission pics!