Friday, June 6, 2008

I've been busy watching spacey stuff all week...



Discovery docked to the International Space Station a few days ago. I think I annoyed quite a few of you with fairly constant text message updates. Since then I've been spending a lot of time watching astronauts and flight controllers take care of the business of building a little bit more on the space station. and move things around When the new Japanese Experiment Module was being taken out of the shuttle payload bay and moved over to where it connects to the station, I was in the Mission Control Center watching and listening.


When the Japanese put the thermal covering on the "attic door" of their module they kind of forgot about how some of the things move that will reach out and grab the module that will be attached to that "attic door" on Friday. Somebody did finally think about some of the things that appeared to be in the way, so they asked the a couple of the astronauts who were going out today (Thursday) to do some other work outside the space station to go over and move some stuff out of the way to make room for the piece that is going to be attached to that "attic door" place on Friday. I was listening and watching as the astronauts moved things out of the way, and then listened and watched while flight controllers in the Mission Control Center ran the mechanisms through checks to make sure everything worked the way it should so there will be no problems hooking things up on Friday. May sound kind of boring to some of you, but it was tons of fun for me...that's what I do.
Anyway, there's more to do over the next week or so. I thought I'd just keep you up on what's going on. Oh yeah, you will be happy to know that the toilet that was broken on space station (they only have one!!!) got fixed and the astronauts are really happy about that (they were running out of ziplock bags...yeah, I know, TMI...oh well).


3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad the bathroom was fixed. It's fun to learn about the day to day stuff they go through in space. I'm glad you enjoy what you do!

Charlissa said...

That is so cool Dad!! I'm glad you are having so much fun with work stuff right now.
I am really glad they got the potty fixed.... that is a little bit on the gross side. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that.

Karen Nelson said...

We just had a conversation at dinner about what is actually done with the contents of the ziploc baggies...take my word for it...you do not want to know!!!
It is sometimes very difficult to be the only girl in the house!